Friday 23 January 2009

Complaints answered as Russell Brand resigns

Russell Brand has announced his resignation from the BBC today after he and Jonathon Ross made offensive prank calls to veteran actor Andrew Sachs’ answer machine.

Claiming he had had sex with Sachs’ granddaughter, Brand continued to harass Sachs on his pre recorded Radio 2 show, which went out on air on 18th October. Listeners tuning in at the time were outraged, but some think reactions have been extreme, including 44 year old mother of one Tina Clark, from Pevensey Close, Southampton.

 “I listened to the show because I love Jonathon Ross and I thought the two comedians would work well together. I turned it off after the first message, because I found it offensive, but I would never have gone as far as putting in a complaint! I understand that it clearly went too far, but there is a point where you have to accept Russell Brand’s apology and forget about it. I think everyone has overreacted.”

Louisa Craven, 27, a manager for London Overground, lives in Mistley Gardens in Surrey, and agreed saying, “This is an overreaction. I’m a big Russell Brand fan, and I know he crosses the line at times but it was a stupid mistake. He’s human.”

Among Brand’s fan base is also Hannah Clifton, 20, from Nottingham, who is currently studying Business, and thinks the situation has become out of hand. “23,000 complaints? I guess it shows this made an impact. I really like Russell Brand – I like the fact he doesn’t take himself too seriously. It’s a shame he had to resign.”

Many believe that this was the last chance for Brand, with his controversial humour causing many a scandal in the past.

“His humour is offensive. I am glad he is off the airwaves,” says 55 year old Carol Barnett, who has three children and works as a dance teacher and lives in Lumley Road in her home town of Horley in Surrey. She claims that she has never been a fan of the comedian.

Dom Fairman, 19, a Music and Audio Technology student currently living in Purbeck Halls in Bournemouth agreed.

“It is about time Russell Brand left. I don’t find him funny at all. His humour is just annoying. I don’t have any friends who actually find him funny.”

Jonathon Ross has been banned from the BBC for three months, but has yet to comment on Brand’s resignation.

 

 

No comments: